Water & Sewer

The village receives its water supply from Lake Michigan through a purchase agreement as part of its membership in the Northwest Water Commission. This commission, which consists of four municipalities, is empowered to plan, construct, improve, extend, acquire, finance, operate, and maintain a water supply system to serve its members and other potential water purchasers.

Effective January 1, 2016, the rate for water service will increase from $4.56 per one thousand gallons (1000g) consumed.  Village sewer use charges will increase to $1.13 per one thousand gallons (1000g) consumed.  Residential units are billed on a bimonthly basis, commercial and industrial units are billed monthly.  The combined rate of $5.69 is a $0.22 cent increase from the 2015 combined rate of $5.47 ($4.38 for water and $1.09 for sewer). 
Sanitary Sewer Rates
Properties residing in Lake County
The sanitary service charge is $4.00 per 1,000 metered gallons of water.  Prior to this change Lake County Public Works charged a flat fee of $30.00 per month based on an estimated residential use of 7,500 gallons per month. The change to consumption based billing is an effort to promote conservation and allow residents greater control over their sanitary sewer expenses. The rate is determined by Lake County Public Works with the approval of the county board. The village functions as a billing partner to reduce administrative costs.

Effective in 2016 Lake County increased the summer sewer credit rate from 110% to 120%. 

Properties residing in Cook County
Cook County user / consumers are taxed for sewer treatment via a tax levied by the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago.

Payment Methods
Payments can be made through the mail, in person during normal business hours, or through the drop box after hours (please no cash). Additionally, customer’s bank accounts can be directly debited through the village’s E-Z Pay system or customers may pay online through the village's Water / Sewer Online Payment System.  

For more information, call the Water Billing Department at 847-459-2515.

Water Bill Changes
New home owners should contact the Water Department to establish a new account. An application for metered water service needs to be completed and a driver's license or government issued picture id is required. 

Tenants who are responsible for their water bills should follow similar procedures. All landlords should notify the water billing clerk if a particular property is being leased so that we can apprise them, as well as the tenant, of any issues pertaining to their account.